CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Save the Bunnies

Somehow a rabbit made her way into our yard and built a nest. Yesterday morning Natalie very excited was telling me the story how Parker found baby rabbits in the backyard.
I am thinking "hmm Parker found baby rabbits, not good". Natalie unaware about Parker's intentions was thrilled. I asked Aaron the outcome of the rabbits trying not to give away any information that may upset Natalie. Aaron told me that indeed Parker found a nest and they saw 2 bunnies running away. Parker did not get to them, Aaron was able to get a hold of him before he could really take off and chase them.

So all day yesterday I did not put the dogs in the backyard. I knew that once outside Parker was going to go and find them. I was trying to wait until Aaron got home from work so that someone could supervise them.

Well of course Aaron had a late meeting and was coming home late so I put the dogs out. The girls were happy playing in the laundry room (they were happy I don't ask too many questions). So I went outside with them. Parker immediately goes where the nest was and where Aaron had told me the bunnies were. Sure enough he found one. The poor bunny is yelping, so I started screaming at Parker and I went after him and he dropped the bunny. I was not sure if he had killed him or not but at least he did not eat him (yes they eat them, in NC they found a nest of chipmunks and ate them all).
Anyway I drag Parker inside and they were done outside. A little bit later I went to check on the bunny and he was gone so I figured he was ok.

After the girls went to bed I told Aaron we had to move the bunnies to the front. If they stayed in the backyard the dogs were going to kill them.
So off we go to rescue the bunnies. We found 2 of them and Aaron was able to get them inside a basket and we moved them to the bushes in front of the house. One of them (the one Parker had "played" with) ran to the driveway, I guess he was scared but he looked ok.
The other one just hid in the bushes.

So now we are feeling pretty good that we rescued the bunnies. Aaron puts Parker on a leash and walks him around the yard in case there are more. Parker is sniffing but shows no interest. So we take him off the leash and sure enough he finds another one by the fence. Ahh we were so mad, I only wonder what our neighbors where thinking. The two of us at 8:30pm yelling and running after the dog in our own backyard! Anyway this poor bunny was not so lucky and died.
I felt really bad but at least 2 survived.

This morning we saw the mommy rabbit we believe she is looking for them. I went to see where the one from last night was, if he was still there but he was gone. Hopefully he is somewhere safe.
The one that Parker "played" with that I last saw in the driveway I found dead in the driveway. I have no idea what happened because he looked ok when I last saw him, he was hopping around. At least he is out of the girls view so they have not seen him. I am not removing the body so he will have to stay there until Aaron gets home from work.
Natalie & Izzie saw the mommy rabbit this morning and Natalie is all concerned that she can't find the babies.
I hope she does not try to get into the backyard. I don't trust this dogs. Hopefully she won't put another nest in the back.

I was able to get some pictures last night.

this is the nest in the grass. the hair on top is from the mommy rabbit.



the little bunny hiding in the grass. this is the one that we believe is still alive



they are so cute. i thought about keeping him!





this is the one Parker "played" with.