CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

ENT Appt

Just wanted to share my experience this morning at the ENT. Natalie had a follow up appointment today. Long story short last April she had her second set of tubes put in and in the 6 month checkup in Oct the tubes had already fallen out. She had not had an ear infection but she did have fluid in her ear and they attempted a hearing test. Key word "attempted".... she screamed so much that the test did not give accurate results. So the doctor said to wait it out and see what would happen during the winter months and to bring her back in Feb. So now it was time to do the follow up.

I was optimistic that she would do ok this time, since it has been a while since anyone messed with her ears and also a month ago she was very good for the pediatrician and she let the ped. check her ears and her throat and she never screamed. So I was hopeful. Yesterday I mentioned to her that we were going and she was ok with it and even told me she would not cry.

Well we get to the ENT's office and she starts crying. She did not want to get out of the car and wanted me to carry her. Which was a little difficult since I was already carrying Izzie. So she calmed down and we went inside. In the waiting room she was doing very well, an improvement from last time. We got called inside and she was still doing pretty well. She did not want to go but at least she was walking and was not screaming. Then the doctor walked in and pretty much hell broke lose. I was sitting with Natalie on the chair, Izzie is happy playing with my purse emptying out the contents of my wallet. The doctor was trying to look in her ears but she was screaming and kicking so hard it was hard to see. She has fluid but it was hard for him to see how much since she was so hysterical. Then the doctor wanted to look in her throat. She is screaming and starts gagging. Not sure if you know but Natalie has a very nice trick mastered which is that when she is really upset she can make herself throw up. So I realize she is about to throw up (as she is still on my lap and the doctor is right in front of us). So I put her on the floor and tell her to calm down that we were all done and to not throw up. I then go to open her sippy cup so she could have some water when she threw up all over herself and the floor. At least she did not throw up on me or the doctor. So the doctor leaves to get something to clean the mess and I started cleaning up the mess and to clean her off. At that moment Izzie starts crying. She is still sitting very good in the couch with my purse and my wallet. I think she is crying because Natalie was crying when I realize that she is holding on to the sippy cup of water. Apparently when I was getting it for Natalie I turned it and loosened it so Izzie finished opening it and spilled the entire sippy cup on herself. So she is sitting in a puddle of water. My purse, wallet and everything that was in my wallet is soaked. So I finish cleaning the floor so I could put Izzie on the floor and clean up the water mess. So now Natalie has vomit on her clothes and Izzie is soaking wet. The doctor comes back to this disaster and tells me Natalie will need another hearing test but that we don't have to do it today. Good thing because I don't think I would have been able to handle it.

So we leave the doctor. About 5 minutes after we leave Natalie informs me that she has to pee. So now I have to stop somewhere so she can pee.

We made it home in once piece but I am ready for their bedtime tonight. I guess I can settle for nap time for now.

The sad part is that I need to go back soon for her hearing test. Next time I will bring extra clothes for her and me and I will try to leave Izzie with Aaron.

1 comment:

Beccalynn81 said...

Yikes! It is so horrible taking both kids to the doctor! Not fun at all. I hope Aaron can keep Izzie next time!