CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Vet trip

Yesterday afternoon I noticed that our bathroom had a funny smell. Before going to pick up Natalie from daycare I went into her room and found little traces of blood on the carpet. Abi had been in Natalie's room earlier so I figured it was from her. Then I realized that the smell in our bathroom was that Abi had peed on the floor. When Aaron got home from work he found more bloody traces in our closet. This morning we found a little bit more so I figured she needed to go the vet as soon as possible. I was concerned she had a kidney or bladder infection so we needed to have it checked out so we could start her on antibiotics.

Aaron normally takes Abi to the vet since she is so scared and needs to be carried in. He is in meetings all day and the earlier he could take her was tomorrow. I did not want to wait so I braved the trip with Abi and the two girls.

Abi would not go in, so I had to bring her back to the car and have someone from the office carry her in for me. Natalie was very concerned about Abi and kept saying that they were going to check Abi's ears (all trips to doctors for Natalie means ear check since pretty much that is the only thing they checked on her). So we go in the room and everything is going good. They had to take Abi in the back to get a urine sample. Natalie wanted to go back with them and was very upset while Abi was gone. Abi was too nervous and they could not get enough so we had to do it the old fashion way. We had to get her walking and see if she peed. So outside we all go. We left Izzie in the stroller watching us and I was walking Abi with Natalie next to us and a girl from the office behind us with a ladle waiting for Abi to pee so she could catch it. Thank goodness she was quick. Now we have to all go back inside and wait 10 minutes until the results came back. At this point Izzie is pretty much done with the stroller and Natalie is opening all the cabinets and drawers in the room. Abi is shaking non stop.

So I got the girls out of the room, Natalie wanted to she the office kitty cat which was hiding (he must have heard her coming). They have a nice little room full of toys so Natalie went in there to play which was fantastic. She was very entertained in the room. I left Abi by herself in the little room. I don't think she minded since now she was not being harassed by Natalie.

So the doctor comes back and says that there is some inflammation and the most probable cause is a urinary tract infection. It could also be stones but usually it is a UTI. So he recommended antibiotics and some pain medication. They are going to send the sample in for a more detailed analysis to confirm the infection. Hopefully that will be the case, otherwise they would have to do x-rays to see if its stones and if not an ultrasound to see if it's a tumor in the bladder. We should have the results early next week.

While I went to get Abi and pay I put Izzie in the play room with Natalie. It was cute seeing them together. There is no way Izzie would have stayed there by herself if Natalie would not have been there. We were at the vet for almost an hour and a half. The girls did great, much better than I thought I would have gone. Natalie had a great time and did not want to leave the playroom. I have a feeling she will want to go back to the vet really soon.

No comments: